Friday, September 28, 2007

My own little corner of the universe

It seems like this should all be easier.

There's this eternal quest that we, as people, are on each and every day for some sort of peace to the soul, world peace, peace through Jesus, whatever. Yet, we are constantly in the realm of chasing distraction.

I can't stand to pay my bills, so I'll watch TV
I don't like coming home to my wife, so I'm going to the bar
I hate doing my expenses for work, so I'll "research" on "MySpace"
I have important things to do so...oooooo....something shiny!

Distractions. And it's getting worse. Video games, blogs, MySpace, 500 channels of high definition TV, AM/FM/HD/Satellite Radio, Cell phones, Blackberrys, and on and on.

It's even gotten to the point that people refuse to make plans any more. You call someone, including me, and invite them to something, rarely do you get a "yes". It's more like a "sounds good, let me see what's going on".

We've taken a fear of commitment to a level of not even committing our minds to a train of thought.

I'm voting for a slow down. No more reasons of doing things just because "we can". More, we should do things when "we should".

Where should it start? With each of us. Believe me, no leader is going to stand up and say "slow down" (unless you're in a union, in which case...well...it's understood). No, our "leaders" are captains of industry; masters of their domain; powerful/knowledgeable people. They demand information NOW about stuff that's happening LATER. These are the same people who will choose to pollute a lake because "the law didn't state that we couldn't put THIS chemical in there". That will fleece people of their money because "hey, the law didn't say we couldn't put up dummy corporations to make us look profitable".

No, the revolution starts here. When you're sick of needing Red Bull just to make it through your week. When you're worn out from having to juggle work and time with the family. When you're staying home at 10:00 at night to work on a project for you boss that you got called on at 6:00 that same evening. It's time to say "MY TIME"

Because We Have To!!

No comments: